Thursday, September 26, 2013

summer book report

With summer completely and 100% over (hello Fall! I love you!), I'm sharing a few of the books I read this summer. Working at a library is super awesome because books are always flying under my nose and I get exposed to such awesome things I might not have read otherwise.

A lot of these are series. And half are kid's books. I've been reading a lot of what would be classified as "young adult" literature lately - I love the stories, the simpler narration, and (yes I'll say it) the more-often-than-not happy ending. Happy is always a good thing. I'd recommend all of these.


The Sweet Tooth series by Jeff Lemire. These are graphic novels, and there are 6 total in the series. I read the first 3 last year, and finished up the series in August. While I love graphic novels, I don't usually read the "comic book" type. (I love memoir graphic novels, and read almost solely that.) This story really drew me in. Each volume is a little different in style, and can be repetitive at times, as is the nature of the medium. The drawings are awesome, though often brutal, and the story is unique.The whole series is a quick and fun read, but definitely thought provoking, too!

The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart. I used to own this book - but it got sold when I purged all my books in college. (I do not anymore have space for the hundreds and hundreds of books I used to have. Only very special books get to stay, for now. Someday I will own a house with plenty of space dedicated to books.) I've remembered the book and always been curious about it, and it turns out it is an absolutely wonderful story. It's written for children - but it doesn't necessarily read that way, it can be super dark at times, and I think adults can get a lot out of it too. I'm taking a break right now, but I look forward to reading the next book in the series soon.

The Percy Jackson series by Rick Riordan. This has been my default audiobook for some time as I've made my way through the series. Having just finished the third book (The Titan's Curse) I can say that this series is one of my new favorites! Again, it is a "young adult" book - but that doesn't mean adults can't enjoy it. While it is suited for its audience, it is a well-rounded and awesome series. You grow up with the characters. I love it, especially all the little nods to Greek mythology. I've yet to see the movies they've made, but I think that will be next for me once the books are done.



Wool by Hugh Howey. Wool is definitely my favorite discovery of the summer. I found out about it through Kate and fell head over heels for the story. It's a dystopian sort of tale about a world where everyone lives in an underground silo and no one can go outside because the air is toxic to breathe. I fell through the book in record time and have recommended it to just about everyone I know. You should read it! It is first in a trilogy about this world, and I'm anxious to read the next in the series. (Sidenote: Wool has a handful of knitting terminology/symbolism in it, which you know I ate up!)

What are you reading? Any suggestions for me? I love good stories! I've been looking for some good non-fiction stories, lately...

2 comments:

  1. I am definitely going to try to find Wool. It sound interesting.

    I am often to be found with my nose in a knitting book (bit sad), but at the moment am half way through "Falling" by Elizabeth Jane Howard and I am enjoying a lot. It looks from the cover like it might be a romantic novel, but is not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like some good books, will have to check them out. Whispers-I read young adult lit too and I'm 44. Don't tell anyone. ;) I loved working in the library in the high school. The librarian would order books and she read every one before she put it on the shelves. Every summer she would send me with two paper grocery sacks of books home and tell me to read them and the let her know if she should put them on the shelves. I had such fun and was never short of reading material!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for your comment!!